Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Merchant's Lane, Petaling Street

Probably the prettiest little nook in Petaling Street, Merchant's Lane is fast becoming a must-visit for locals and tourists alike after a sweltering wander through the streets of KL's Chinatown. 



Push through the teal door and be greeted by vintage steps that lead you to a curious collection of spaces. Every single time I'm here, I discover something new about the place (that is already in existence) and this time it's the neon sign that assures frazzled visitors that 'This Must Be The Place'. Sophie was highly impressed with what the people behind Merchant's Lane has done to the building. She nonchalantly remarked, "People can say what they want about hipsters but they're the ones restoring our culture (or what's left of it rather)." 



The Peranakan-esque fuschia-teal colour combination is a recurring theme throughout the rooms. While some may find it gaudy, I adore the juxtapose of the vibrant pops of colour with the existing neutral shades of exposed walls. So Christopher Kane!


Sophie had the cold brewed Earl Grey latte while I had their Rose Honey Milk. Both were divine and tasted as good as they look. I have yet to try the savoury food here as I've been told that the fare is not disappointing. I have, though, had their 'Better Than Sex' (pandan roti jala topped with melted cheese and served with kaya toast ice cream and a drizzle of gula melaka). Whilst I disagree that it is *wink, I don't deny it was really good.



I'm obsessed with Ivy and Annie's chrysanthemum and peony artwork featured prominently in the Rainbow Room. The cascading canvases immediately transports you to the days of Suzie Wong and you are gently reminded of the space that was once home to 'flower girls' of the night.


I thought Kenny Mah's article on The Malay Mail Online had brilliant insights on how the former brothel and immigrant workers quarter emerged to be a captivating eatery in the millennia. 

What's your favourite eats in Merchant's Lane?


No, 150 Jalan Petaling
59000 Kuala Lumpur
Mon-Sun 10:30-20:00
Tel: +6 03 2022 1736

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...