Tuesday, November 11, 2014

singapore: tai hwa / twg the salon / tan boon kee / orchard road / ion orchard / antoinette cafe / db bistro / repetto

So Le Father invited me to come stay with him and Le Mother at Marina Bay Sands (MBS) in Singapore so it would be foolish to decline. I get free lodging (albeit a shared room with the parents) and transportation plus a $10/day local currency pocket money. Yes, I am such a child and I'm not ashamed of my petty behaviour. I've never been to MBS so this was quite exciting.

Good morning Singapore!


Morning travels require a teh-o and a dab of Bisou BonBon  Focus Pls Salve to jumpstart the planning process.

So by now I'm sure you lots think I'm a spoilt child receiving handouts from her parental units. Well... I am and suffice to say I'm in no position to deny such allegations. It's quite true. But. There is a but. I do give my parentals their money's worth. I am a pretty good travel nanny/tour guide/assistant. I know what exactly le mother likes to eat and places le father likes to go window-shop. I write le father's speech for his gentleman's club dinners and am le mother's personal shopper. Consider me an entire entourage in a person! An absolute bargain :D



We went from touchdown to brunch. This Hill street Tai Hwa "bak chor mee" was personally recommended by Chef Sam and his partner Paul of Your Place or Mine supperclub fame. We looked like absolute tourists dragging our luggage into the kopitiam and asking silly questions like: how big is $6 noodles? They have a default 30mins pre-order waiting period and we were lucky to have made it before the lunch crowd which I've heard can stretch up to 1 hour! Ehmahgerd.


Same chef, same sous chef.. 34 yrs later. Now that's what you call a noodle institution!



I thought it was alright but le mother LOVED it. If you're looking to try out a local Singaporean bak chor mee, this is pretty stand out in le mother's book.

Hill Street Tai Hwa Pork Noodle
Block 466 Crawford Lane (behind Immigration & checkpoint authority)
MRT: Lavender
Mon-Sun 09:30-21:00



We were still too early for check-in so we left our luggage and went for a short stroll at MBS Shoppes. One thing about my family is that we cannot resist a tea salon. Something about the TWG Tea Garden being perched by a man-made pool encrusted with orchids was just so inviting. Resistance was futile. We had some tea, a tart and the signature local macaron: Boutique Blue Kaya. It was nice.

In my realm, it's always tea o'clock . Always.


TWG Tea Garden
B2-89, Canal Level
The Shoppes at Marina Bay Sands
Sun-Thurs 10:00-23:00
Fri, Sat & eve of Public Hols 10:00-00:00

We had lunch at the very popular Singaporean chicken rice restaurant: Boon Tong Kee. We were told that the one at Balestier Rd was the nicer branch. The chicken was delicate and tender alas not very flavoursome. I've discovered a new taste bud of mine: nope, not umami but 'clean'! Hehe seriously food here tastes... clean.


Boon Tong Kee
401 Balestier Road
329801 Singapore 
Mon-Sat 11:00-17:00 / 17:30-05:00 
Sun 11:00-17:00 / 17:30-03:30

Walking along Orchard Road, I've discovered a new mall-love: ION Orchard. It's so intergalactic! I almost thought shopping in Singapore was going to be bland (we have pretty much the same shops in KL) but we do NOT have COS, Kate Spade Saturday, Kikki.K and Crate & Barrel. Oh fun! Oh love!


The only way to describe Saturday. Words to live by surely 




Olive wood kitchenware is my Kryptonite.


















No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...