Monday, April 15, 2013

bonne anniversaire to moi! (thean hou temple, tea at majestic hotel, dining in the dark kl)

You know 'maturity' has caught up with you when your husband wakes you up first thing in the morning to make birthday prayers at the temple. We've been going to the Thean Hou temple for about 2 years now. We're not hard up Buddhists but we do try to inculcate more faith in our lives nowadays. Dang the autopilot of aging! Funny how much a little belief can make all the difference. Frankly I can't even remember my own age. It is as if everything becomes a blur post-25! 26, 27 what does it matter... the only time I ever felt the significance of an age was when I turned 29. After turning 30, 31 32... what does it matter? All I know is that the older I grow, the quieter I want my birthdays. Lo and behold it has begun: I'm turning into a schmuck! :D




As much as it irked me to rise early, a sense of tranquility washed over me as I waded through the temple grounds and up the many flight of stairs to the temple's peak. There were so many brides in white dresses and hand bouquets. It must be an auspicious date for weddings. That's a good sign :)



In Thean Hou you can find special nooks and altars for people to place wishing lotus / waterlily candles. The lotus is used as a symbol of purity as it grows with its roots in the mud (roots of evil: greed, hatred, delusion) but it blossoms above the water (enlightenment). Profound, non? It has become a ritual for Guy and I to light a lotus candle and this time I get the honours of hogging the wish lol! :D


65 Persiaran Endah
off Jalan Syed Putra
50460 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia 
Tel: +603 2274 7088 


Birthday afternoons are meant for lovable activities... and in my case it was tea at The Orchid Room over at the newly refurbished Majestic Hotel


"The Majestic Hotel Kuala Lumpur includes the original Hotel Majestic which is documented as a national heritage site under the Malaysian Antiquities Act. This colonial heritage building was built in 1932 and became one of the great hotels of Kuala Lumpur in its time. 

The hotel was an icon of Malaya's boom years leading to World War II and came to be the place for glamorous social events, government receptions and the residence for prominent international visitors. The Majestic Hotel Kuala Lumpur is positioned to share the glamour, heritage and success of its predecessor as a YTL Classic Hotel."

... The Majestic Hotel, introduction ...



Let us not dwell on the fact that we got lost and circled the traffic-infested city thrice, instead let's go straight to... 


Miss HweiHwei captured the ambience at The Orchid Conservatory perfectly!




You know how Tom Ford came out with Black Orchid? I used to think it was an overrated scent because I never thought orchids could ever possess a fragrance strong enough to be perceived. I was SO wrong.. because the moment I stepped into The Orchid Room, the overwhelming scent of the Philaenopsis orchids blew my mind! I felt the aroma envelope my body in a floral hug and exploded in my lungs. Beautiful. Stunning even.


So glad that their hot items came in a warmer. The cheeseball thing was my favourite!

Tiers of delectably dainty nibbles! Best: Red velvet cupcake. Other favourites: tuna sandwich, cherry cheesecake, scone :)

Why yes, those ARE cherries (not apples) on my head! This is me channeling my inner Anna dello Russo !

Headpiece: handmade bazaar
Dress: Dorothy Perkins

Damn I love afternoon teas! *erected pinkie*

Smoky wishes!

cake: Delectable by Su



Afternoon Tea @ The Majestic Hotel
5 Jalan Sultan Hishamuddin
50000 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: +60 (0)3 27858000


A super day would not be complete without an extraordinary dinner. I was rather surprised that Guy actually reminded me to make reservations at Dining In The Dark KL for my birthday. It's nice to know that he does occasionally pay attention to my yapping. I've been meaning to try them out (cue the scene from 'When In Rome' and that CSI episode) but their reservations were always full. Trust KL-ites to hog the new restaurant in town! I did not have any expectations with regards to how things would roll out through the night. I don't think I've ever dined in utter darkness before. We were lead to a lounge to get our eyes accustomed to the dark. There we played a game with each other: trying to fish out paper clips from a bowl of beans all the while blindfolded. I performed pretty poorly but Guy was real ace at it (wonder why? ;D)! When it came to our time slot, we were called upon to save our valuables and light emitting gadgets in their locker. Our waiting staff was Darius who was visually-impaired (the main weight of the staff are visually impaired and I'm more than happy to support a restaurant which allows work opportunity for the disabled) lead us pass layers of blackout curtains before arriving at our table. It was definitely dark... very very dark. Couldn't see nuts!


Off to dine in darkness!

I seriously have no recollection of the menu.. all I know is that cherry tomatoes are best eaten in the dark! Seriously! All that heightened senses and refined dining experience... all true especially when it comes to the cherry tomatoes! Guy ate mainly through his fingers (he usually eats with his hands anyway!) but I maintained the use of cutlery. The food was nothing to shout about I'd have to be frank but... The best part was dessert (oh and soup but I guess that shouldn't count 'cos it came in a cup) of which I enjoyed immensely. They paused the dinner awhile to play me 'Happy Birthday' on the piano while the wait staff gathered around me and sang. I know they gathered around me because I could hear them in close vicinity of me. Me learning yah... me karate kid, non? That was special. On top of the dining experience.. that was indeed special.

Appetizer, main course, dessert... bah they all look the same!


Even if it's just for the experience, I'd recommend a visit. Prepare gossips 'cos it will be a long night filled with conversations and most of all be nice to the waiters. Remember, in this instance we're the clumsy ones not them :)

P.S. @mymakeuporganizer: I hope you kept your hands to yourself LOL (I did. but my toes... well they had a life of their own *wink*)


Dining In The Dark KL

44A & 46A Changkat Bukit Bintang
50200 Kuala Lumpur
Reservation Tel: + 6012 251 5797


7 comments:

fawn said...

The candle are so pretty as well as the flowers. I would like to travel to the Asian ares for a visit some time. I have never been there, Maybe I will be able to for one of our International Conventions.

Tara said...

hope you had a great birthday. i am one of your partners from swap-bot blog swap #2. this temple looks amazing and very relaxing.

tara/fabricfriend

Kristy O said...

That food looks good!

-Zefaniya
Gain exposure to your blog #2

Rose Dziorny said...

This is rosedzi from swapbot. Your blog is so lush and beautiful. I am enjoying reading it very much, especially viewing all of the beautiful photos. Your birthday sounds like it was exquisite and your adventures sound so unique!

Aurelas said...

Hi, this is Aurelas from swapbot! I am so jealous of you--your life looks fabulous! I have seen the Dining in the Dark restaurant on television and wondered how it would really be to go there, and now I have a better idea :) And the flowers...and the food...it is all so gorgeous! I am glad you had such a memorable birthday :)

shelbybaby said...

fawn: i think you will definitely enjoy malaysia (should it make it into your travel plans one day) as we are a melting pot of many asian cultures. that's why our tagline is: malaysia, truly asia :)

tara: indeed the temple was zen and thanks for the warm wishes.

kristy: do you mean the afternoon tea? yup it was yum!

rose: so glad to know you enjoyed this entry. thanks for dropping by!

aurelas: thanks so much for the wonderful wishes. oh... please don't be jealous. it was just one day which happened to be a fun day lol.. the rest of the time my life is pretty mediocre. am sure you have an equally wonderful life! glad this entry quenched a lil of your dining in the dark curiosity :)

Sabrina Dee Berry said...

Your birthday celebrations looked like so much fun! I hope you had a wonderful day. The orchids and your cherries accessory are amazing! {glamazon08 via Swap-Bot}

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...