Friday, February 22, 2013

london calling day 05

I've been getting some emails from readers regarding my unfinished business with regards to my 2011 Euro trip. I'm ashamed to admit that I had gotten quite lazy / busy / unfocused that year and didn't even realize I did not post the rest of the trip pictures. Er... heck I hadn't even put up pictures of my 2012 trip. Yikes. So here I am making it up to you peeps. Let's go!


Made Sophiekins and the parentals breakfast of instant porridge, afew Famous Amos cookies (her fave!) and tea.

It was during the pre-Olympics when we went and there were lotsa construction in preparation for the big game including road refurbishments etc. Many of the main paths were closed and buses weren't able to come through. We walked out hoping to catch a cab but did not until after 2 hours! It was abit of a charm despite 'cos we were able to soak in the neighbourhood vibe and actually see what lies around the flat. 

Ngam-ngam ho this company letters decor held the parentals' initials!


I come to Fortnum and Mason without fail whenever I'm in London.

F&M is The Queen's grocer. How cool is that?

Fortnum and Mason were in the Queen's service (Charlotte at the time) since 1761. They were the first store to stock tinned baked beans (by Heinz). They are well known for their loose leaf tea and luxe picnic baskets (think champagne, smoked salmon, Stilton cheese) distributed in high society events such as The Royal Ascot.

They always have awesome window displays. It's a little difficult to see in my pictures below but they're actually paper figures positioned in a manner to appear 3D visually. Very very cool.





Love their tea tins!

Scorpion Vodka anyone? Bet it stings!



Fortnum & Mason
181 Piccadilly
London W1A 1ER 
United Kingdom
Tel: +44 0845 300 1707



This Ladurée macaron tower makes me feel like diving into it! Too gorgeous.

We took a cut through Burlington Arcade on the way to Bond Street.

The longest and most beautiful covered shopping street in Britain, the Burlington Arcade has been heralded as an historic and architectural masterpiece and a true luxury landmark in London ever since it was first unveiled to great acclaim in 1819.
... Burlington Arcade ... 


This was supposedly ordered to built by Lord George Cavendish who inherited the adjacent house to prevent passers-by from throwing oyster shells and other rubbish over the walls of his home.

Penhaligon was founded in the late 1860s by a barber who went to become the Court Barber and Perfumer to Queen Victoria.


I quite like Bluebell. Do you have a favourite Penhaligon scent?

Burlington Arcade 
Piccadilly 
London W1J 0PL
Tel: +44 020 74931764



I love English pubs 'cos they're fair like that. When they say head, they mean the layer of foam that forms on top the beer. We paused at the pub for a drink and to use the loo LOL.



I was told that Rob Ryan was having an exhibition in The Air Gallery when I visited his quaint little shop in Columbia Road. Rob Ryan is an artist well known for his intricate paper cut art and screen print. His work has been featured in Vogue and Elle along with a collaboration history with Liberty of London, Tatty Devine, Paul Smith. I trawled all around Mayfair looking for the place.


This exhibition was called: The Stars Shine All Day Too.


'Can We? Shall We?' I bought this print on a tea towel. Love.

'Your Job.' This is taking the scissors and paper duet to great new heights.

'I Opened My Heart.' 

'I Opened My Heart.' 



'My Heart, My Love.' 


Life is nice when you get a chance to sit and absorb art in silence.

Top: Uniqlo heat-tech
Cape: Zara
Jeggings: Cotton On
Boots: Urban Outfitters
Bag: Cath Kidston


Air Gallery
32 Dover Street
London W1S 4NE
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7409 1255


Since the oh-so-indie Dover Street Market was just a stone's throw away. We popped in for lunch.

You have to drop by Rose Bakery in the building for lunch. Their quiches are wonderful!

G*d I LOVE the Comme des Garçon jumpers!


Dover Street Market
17-18 Dover Street
London W1S 4LT
Monday-Wednesday 1100 - 18.30
Thursday - Saturday 1100 - 1900
Sunday 1200 - 1700
Tel : +44 20 7518 0680

No trip to London is complete without a visit to Liberty of London. Le Happy Sigh.

And this time the agenda is to browse through the Liberty x Blahnik's pop-up shop: The World of Manolo built in Liberty's scarf room.


This glorious Tudor building was constructed from timbers of 2 ships in the 1920s. In 1875 Arthur Liberty was in possession of one of the buildings and sold fabrics and ornaments from Japan and The East. He soon started to take over the street selling wonderful homeware and decor.



The scarves were SO SO nice! Aren't Blahnik sketches just 









Liberty Weddings. A bride should be so lucky.

I just died and went to print heaven. Regret: not buying a floral biscuit tray.

Dapper diningware. Beautiful.

Love this!


Andrea Garland makes lip balms by hand and places them in vintage tin / pill boxes.




"Each of the Le Labo perfumes (fragrances) is built around a primary natural essence that comes directly from Grasse, France’s “perfume capital”. Bergamot, Rose, Vetiver, Neroli, Orange blossom, Patchouli, Iris, Ambrette, Jasmine, Labdanum, Agarwood and Sandalwood, each of these essences form the base of a composition. The names of the perfumes provide a valuable clue on how they are formulated. Based on the codes that perfumers use to identify their perfume trials, the perfumes are named after their principal essence and the number of ingredients combined to make them.

An example: FLEUR d’ORANGER 27 indicates that the perfume is made up of a total of 27 ingedients, with the natural orange blossom from Grasse as its principal essence."





I've read about Le Labo prior and was excited to try out their exclusive line of perfumes in Liberty. This cult perfumerie is known for their unorthodox scents delving deep into olfactory stimulation rather than fancy packaging or trivial marketing. I poked my nose about (pun not intended) the counter experimenting on the scents when I came across Another 13. I was never one for musk but the musk in Another 13 was not just musk.. it was seduction, mystery and addiction all in a bottle! Described to be a concoction of animal musk, ambrette seed absolute along with 11 other scents (making it 13.. duh!), it was musk like I've never smelt before! The Le Labo girl was wearing the same scent and I felt like melting into her bosom. That was how bizarrely exciting the aroma was. She told she has been stopped many a time by random people asking her about her scent :) I felt I just had to have it. There was only 500 bottles made and I would be one of the 500 in the world!



So I did. I got it. Love it!


Liberty 
Regent Street
London W1B 5AH 
Tel: +44 (0)20 7734 1234
Mon - Sat: 1000 - 2000
Sun: 1200 - 1800

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...