Saturday, February 16, 2013

gong xi fa chai 2013

Keong Hee Keong Hee y'all! How did your CNY celebration go? Highlights s'il vous plait :)

There's one thing I absolutely LOVE about Chinese New Year and that's the arrival of DIY Yee Sang. I'm a real fan of Yee Sang. Back when I was a med student in Indon, I used to buy boxes and boxes of Yee Sang and eat it as a meal, yup just as a meal with or without sashimi, everyday. 

Our family have not had yee sang 'cos everytime we went out for a tai-chow dinner it would be absolutely packed with company staff having annual dinners or gigantic family reunions and we'd turn around to the food court instead. So on the eve of the eve, when we really should be resting as we were leaving for Kedah the next day, Dddy invited me to come along for a nice dinner out with some friends, I immediately jumped at the chance!

Practicing this annual Malaysian Chinese tradition. Lou lou higher higherrr!! Huat huat huat ahh..!

Just the day before I popped by a nail salon to get a pedicure. My toes were abysmal! I quite like this new place recommended by Romana Makeup Organizer. What was so funny was that everyone was uploading their CNY toes on Instagram the very same day!

Getting my CNY toes on!

Leggings: H&M

Urban OPI Nail Salon
40-1 Jalan Telawi 5
Bangsar Baru
59100 KL.
Tel: +603 22849002
Hours: 1000 - 2000

I take pride in giving out awesome red packets. I'd like to think they're an extension of my personality. Hence truck loadsa Hello Kitty, a little bit of IKEA and Oh & Ah :) I was obsessed with collecting IKEA "i-jia" angpows this year. Just think it's so ridiculous that they're redeemable only via purchases over RM188 hmph.

I'm a little ATM machine
Short and stout,
Say my password (gong xi gong xi)
And $$ will come out!

This year I got abit lazy. So no hamper curation (unlike last year and the year before that). Instead I got packs of dried scallops: 20 sen size scallops for the S-I-Ls and 10 sen size for Guy's aunts. Not cheap I must say.


I was so busy that I absolutely forgot about getting new CNY clothes. Tak pa lah.. frugal is the new bugle! LOL OK I made that up... I had RM200 Kitschen vouchers from the POCC event which I used to get myself and Guy some new pants. And there was a new Anya Hindmarch canvas tote that I had kept aside while waiting for the current one to wear out. So that pretty much were my new 'clothes' this year.

Au revoir 'Dairy' and Bonjour 'Market' for the new year! Yup I'm a die-hard  Anya Hindmarch canvas tote fan.

To those who were travelling up north for the festive season. You peeps know my pain. What was supposed to be a 5-hour journey turned into a 10-hour nightmare!

Baru 6am and it's already crawling even before Sg Buloh at the highway. We turned back to try our luck later in the morning.

We've been on the road since 9.30am. Braved through so many crawls only to come to another massive one in Ipoh. 

Instead of hogging the R&R, we made a pitstop at Bidor for the famous yummy duck drumstick noodles. 


Pun Chun Chicken Biscuit & Restaurant
38 & 40, Jalan Besar
35500 Bidor
Perak 
Tel : +605 - 4341554
M-S 0600 - 2200pm


I think everyone can relate that one of the fun things to look forward to do during CNY is watching the little ones and their hilarious antics. And perhaps 'bullying' them into throwing your peanut shells / fetching you cold drinks...

... or even a 'relaxing' shoulder massage LOL!

Coming from an unorthodox family, extensive prayer practice is alien to me and have to be guided very closely by Guy who gets his instructions from his father.

Wikipedia: The first day is for the welcoming of the deities of the heavens and earth, officially beginning at midnight. It is a traditional practice to light fireworks, burn bamboo sticks and firecrackers and to make as much of a din as possible to chase off the evil spirits as encapsulated by nian (年) of which the term guo-nian (过年) was derived. 

My F-I-L is pretty traditional hence the extensive offerings for the midnight prayer . The husband guides me how to fill up the little dishes with cookies and treats for the gods with care (in his exact exclaimed words: don't break the fish!!). Turns out he's pretty good with biscuit curation!


Wikipedia: The second day of the Chinese New Year, known as kāinián (開年/开年, "beginning of the year"), was when married daughters visited their birth parents, relatives and close friends. (Traditionally, married daughters didn't have the opportunity to visit their birth families frequently.)

Guy has 4 sisters so the second day of CNY is the most bustling day in the household. We all gather to have steamboat and their relatives from Gurun etc come over to "pai-chia" (visit) later in the day. The house can get very congested. My angpows trickle, no I mean gush, out on this day mainly.

Believe it or not but there are 23 people seated in this little living room! 23! 0_0'

Remember Mindy and her chocolate fountain? (Oh and I AM still holding out on that chocolate fountain deal I missed on MyDeal) When I watched that episode, it was as if I found a kindred soul 'cos I HAVE a cotton candy machine! Bought it on GroupOnMalaysia.

Quote The Mindy Project. This is amazing. People love this! Unquote.

The verdict: Can't expect very fine and fluffy cotton candy from a machine made out of plastic and is a size of 4 shoeboxes stacked together. Also a teaspoon of sugar (1 cycle) only yields a cloud the size of a bola takraw. Still it's such a novelty lah. Even the neighbours came to take a video LOL.

Well it goes without mention that the kids went CRAYCRAY over the machine! Guy had to play cotton candy man for 2 shifts: afternoon and evening :D

So that sums up the Lunar New Year for the husband and I. I'll leave you with a pretty picture of the Xiao Niao Hua (Little Bird Flower) that I gave my F-I-L 3 years ago!

Proud to see that the Xiao Niao Hua (little bird flower / Euphorbia bracteata) I gave the F-I-L 4 years back as a stalk has now grown into a bush!



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...