Sunday, January 06, 2013

pi said god, thank you for giving me my life. i am ready now.



I will not pretend to have read the book and loved it all my life and been anticipating the movie since forever. I have no idea why I haven't read the book. It must be a really good book because it was such a spectacular movie! Perhaps being ignorant about the whole Pi business has its own charm because I didn't have any expectation. I just went to see a film, with my husband, because we haven't had a date night in gazillion years and was hoping to see something picturesque (and NOT military action as suggested by the Mr!). Turns out it wasn't just a film. It was a mind-blowing visual and life experience! You'll have to watch it yourself and if you require a narration there's alot of reliable (and unreliable) resources out there. Just consult Uncle Yahoo or Auntie Google.


I can eat biscuits, but God made tigers carnivorous, so I must learn to catch fish. If don't, I'm afraid his last meal would be a skinny vegetarian boy.
... Pi Patel, Life Of Pi ...


My favourite scene. Thank you God for bringing Ang Lee into this world and executing such a magnificent piece of movie.

I shall always have bittersweet thoughts of this movie though.

I had read that 'Damini', the Indian medical student, was waiting for bus home with her companion after watching this very movie. I cannot help but wonder if she felt inspired or encouraged with the humble wise words of Pi as I did, intending to do more good from then on. It was inevitable that the day turned late by the time the movie ended (3 hour movie mind you, I went to the lavatory twice... sensitive bladder that is) and she boarded the next bus that paused where she stood. Little had she known that there were despicable scumbags in the bus that had been drinking all evening. She was a pretty girl and the men were terribly cruel. They raped her, beat her up, plunged rods into her and threw her (and her poor companion) out of the bus naked. She was so hurt that she had to be flown to Singapore for further medical assistance. She didn't make it. The people were enraged. There was a huge demonstration demanding justice. Yet the youngest one of the lot got out scots free (juvenile). There were criticism when the demonstration turned into a riot.

What fears me is that our country's fate falls into similar apathy and injustice. It IS crazy what they did (what with emotions running high) but perhaps it's the ONLY way to make the world sit up and pay attention so that their government would finally do something!




Back in college, I had an Indian dorm mate who never wore anything lesser than a short-sleeved top because it was just not their culture and most of all it made her self-conscious and wary that it might attract the 'wrong' kind of attention! But it was Liverpool where English girls wore tube tops at the hint of sunshine! Never really understood the meaning of this fear until my medical studies in a small little village of Jatinangor. Tank tops and shorts (what would be a staple uniform in Malaysia) made the village men drool. The security guard told one of our local friends to pass the message on that if we do not get 'covered up' that he is not to blame should he rape us. So we wore jackets even if it was sweltering hot and all our skirt hems fell to our ankles. If we should live in fear then so should the fucking rapists! They should live in extreme terror that they would be get their penis cut off should they be found guilty of rape!

That oughta cut rape to 0%, don't you think?



Let me leave you from the words of STFU that I got off Facebook (along with the image above from their Tumblr):

One person wrote, "but then again, its kind like putting a meat suit on and telling a shark not to eat you".

STFU responded (with bolded text):

"We (men) are not fucking sharks!

We are not rabid animals living off of pure instinct

We are capable of rational thinking and understanding. 

Just because someone is cooking food doesn’t mean you’re entitled to eat it. 

Just because a banker is counting money doesn’t mean you’re being given free money.

Just because a person is naked doesn’t mean you’re entitled to fuck them. 

You are not entitled to someone else’s body just because it’s exposed. 

What is so fucking difficult about this concept?"

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...