Wednesday, July 20, 2011

of the disappearing act and sephora


“Hello again. The words that make me smile.”
... Only Lonely, Hootie & The Blowfish ...

Here I am awoken from a virtual coma!


How’re you babydolls? These few months have been a frenzy what with the crazy workload in the government clinic, budding business, extended hours, studies... all the while juggling my responsibilities as a wife / daughter / sister / friend / blogger. It feels like I am trapped in a Rack with all four limbs at the verge of being dislocated from my trunk! Everyone wants a piece of me and the obligation is terribly overwhelming. At this point something’s gotta give hence the disappearing act. This post is dedicated to my blog reader (I forgot your name but you know who you are... do remind me if you’re reading this and leave a note in my ‘comments’!) who came up to me and my booth at Urbanscapes asking me why haven’t I blogged lately? She said it much more gently of course but to me it was a real screeching siren. She was right and I was a blogging jerk. How could I have neglected this space? How could I have treated this blog like an old ragdoll? So here I am writing again... something I’ve not done in a long while (that and reading books).
My adult acne appears like it’s here to stay and unless I can focus on nothing, my mind will constantly scheme which in turn will continue to mess up my hormones... aaargh the frustrating vicious cycle of stress! I can’t live with it yet I can’t live without it.
Work has been challenging. On a bad day I can see up to 140 patients. It doesn’t take a mathematician to work out that I average on 3.4 minutes per person. 140 quirks and complaints cooped up in a little windowless shell on a shared table with zero breakfast time and 2 toilet breaks = a pretty unhappy doctor. I thought I would be happier in a clinic... and though I would never return to a hospital setting (for the life of me I cannot tolerate oncalls), I have to admit life there was less a pressure cooker than it is now. Ever so often (daily actually) we encounter slackers who try to score an mc.

“And the award for the best liar goes to you...”
... Take A Bow, Rihanna ...

It’s a daily struggle putting up with aggression from people who demand for an mc as if I owe them the freaking universe for that RM1 they pay for registration. You do not get one just because you want one or think you deserve one. A lady reported me because I refused her an mc. As much as I’ve built a lead wall around me, hurtful words never fail to push through the nooks and crannies making me question my judgement. Still I always believe in the mantra ‘berani kerana benar’ which is how I get through days like that. She got me into alot of trouble and I silently curse her for that. It’s weird how fate works, our paths crossed again when her daughter fell ill. As I was examining the child, I paused at the familiar rude voice and looked up. I could not put my finger on her face. I functioned as I always did, all the while racking my brain to put an incident to a face. She was surprisingly nice and appreciative. She thanked me like 5 times for goodness sakes! And she wished me and my table mate a nice day. At that time I was still oblivious until my tablemate reminded me that she was the obnoxious lady who crapped up my day! It was seriously bizarre. “Baru dia tau yang kita memang kerja betul. Dia macam terhegeh-hegeh pulak padahal kita kerja macam biasa je.” My nurse was spot on. Perhaps the woman did have a heart... perhaps she realized her impulsive mistake and was worried I would hold it against her. Perhaps she was surprised I did not penalize her child for her blunder. Well this is not how I roll. Ahh... the daily dilemmas in a government clinic!
I apologize if the blog was on *bisou* bonbon overload. It’s all I think about these days. Do all business people behave this way? I can’t help but be obsessed with my work. It’s my baby... it’s something I literally built with my two bare hands. People are surprised to find out that it’s a one-woman show over at *bisou* bonbon. From sourcing for supplies to coming up with new products to designing logos / flyers to sticking the labels etc.. It’s all me. Yea it’s tiring but it’s a different sort of lethargy when you’re doing something you’re passionate about. I wish this is my day job instead. I wish I could wake up and start brewing balms or stirring scrubs :) Here’s to wishful thinking...
Oh and have you been to SEPHORA?? I cannot believe it took me so long to get my non-scrawny ass there because that place is beyoootiful! It’s bling. It’s glam. It’s flossy flossy :) Tres Shelbulous! My eyes darted from left to right to the left again... taking it all in: the black marble floors, the eye-popping product colours blaring from the fluoro-lighted shelves, the array of testers, the liberty granted upon you to peruse hassle-free *happy sigh*. Excuse the gushing-lah, I haven’t been out lately. Although the space is smaller than what’s perceived outside and the fact that Sephora KL carries way too few range of products (WTF? No Bliss??), I still welcome this new breath of fresh air to the local beauty retail industry. I bought:


1. Mario Badescu Acne Facial Cleanser



2. Sephora Long-Lasting Eye Liner in 13 Fancy Blue


3. Sephora Double-Ended Perfect Complexion Brush

3. Sephora Daily Brush Cleaner To Go


4. Sephora Liner Electro-Glitter Eye Pencil in Silver Electro 03


5. Skyn Iceland Detox Kit for Stressed Skin





Sephora Starhill
Starhill Gallery
181, Jalan Bukit Bintang,
55100 Kuala Lumpur

Sephora Suria KLCC
C22, Concourse Floor,
Suria KLCC,
Kuala Lumpur City Centre
50088 Kuala Lumpur


Did you get Sephora psycho?? Do share your haul *curious* ;)

2 comments:

fdyana said...

Hi dearest!

Im sorry if I made you felt terrible for not updating your blog :( Im sorry,Shelby. I just missed you laa..

But 1 thing that I regretted the most was for tak beli your lip-balm,arrgghh! I bought your lip scrub & it was ah-may-zing!

Thank you for being such a wonderful-vendor-in-the-hot-weather-but-still-managed-to-be-so-friendly&chirpy-baby :)

Dyana

shelbybaby said...

dyana: babydoll!! i'm SO SO glad you left a comment :) no-lah please don't feel bad.. i'm so glad you knocked some sense into me. and most of all i'm tremendously JOYed to know i'm missed! you made my heart melt like butter. i'm thrilled to know you like our lip scrub. and you know what(??), the reason i asked you to leave a msg was because i wanted to give a (complimentary) lip balm which was serendipity since you missed buying one. will you be coming to chic pop street market on 20th aug? if not then please do drop me an email and we'll arrange something..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...