Tuesday, November 30, 2010

paris je'taime: jour 01

I have passion for Paris.

Stepping on the Gare du Nord platform I couldn't help but beam... I was in my favourite city in the whole wide world! Very very surreal :)

Glee.

First thing first, I popped by their SCNF rail counters to get our tickets to Brussels and Brugge. The Parisians speak more Anglais now. The last time I was here, they lived up to their reputation of 'francais only'. Somehow they're way warmer now and it's, like, everyone switches to English the moment you hesitate. So much has changed. Even the layout of Gare du Nord is different! I got a wee bit lost trying to locate the Metro at the train station. Goodness gracious.

And then Miss Lost me got a little confused trying to get to the hotel. Turns out the hotel was just BESIDE the Metro!! Sophiekins did a darn good job choosing this place. We were there a wee bit early so we went ahunting for a place to mange before check-in.

We figured we wouldn't go too far and walked down the street. Little did we know that a little Montmartre gem was waiting for us at the end of the street...





I was shell-shocked (pun not intended) when this served up at our table 'cos I didn't remember reading crab in the menu but hey my French is crap and what a lovely surprise!



They're YUMMY clams!!



I'm crazy about the way the French serve their water: in swanky used spirit bottles :) I'm so gonna start saving my vodka bottles for dinner parties and such!



Beaujolais Nouveau in October... aaah bliss...! Just love that they serve their wine in carafes. Too cute!



Veal: deliceux!



Filet Mignon: tres deliceux!

Le Cepage Montmartois
Buttes-Montmartre
65, Rue Caulaincourt
75018 Paris
Tel: 01 46 06 95 15




After checking-in and that fantastic yet not too $$ lunch, we decided to go for a stroll to look around and take the 18th arrondissement in. I wanted to see Sacre Couer!

So we huffed and puffed up a little hill... only to be greeted by grapes creeping under windows..!




I followed the trail like a curious little girl would.




Which led us to this enchanting corner of Paris, the place I've always wanted to see...




Clos Montmartre: Paris' secret vineyard!!


Too bad I missed the harvest festival. I've read somewhere you can actually get close to the grapes in September.



So they won't exactly make the best Pinot Noir but isn't it oh-so-special to sip on wine made in Paris?? Man... the novelty :)



Clos Montmarte
At rue des Saules and rue Saint Vincent
Paris
Tel: 01 40 03 94 70










Artists putting up their work for sale. Brilliant stuff!






Makes me wish I could paint... there's just so much beauty out there waiting to be printed on canvas.





♥ ♥






Isn't this the most magnificent view of the city at almost-sunset?? I had to catch some oxygen.. 'cos this d.e.f.i.n.i.t.e.l.y took my breath away.



Oooh c'est Sacre Couer! (G*ddd I'm lame)




Unfortunately noone in my crowd could ever take a good picture which results in me having to take self-photos that results in, well, epic disaster.


Sacré-Cœur Basilica trivia:

- Roman Catholic church and minor basilica, dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, in Paris, France. A popular landmark, the basilica is located at the summit of the butte Montmartre, the highest point in the city

- Featured in many music videos: Snow Patrol Ópen Your Eyes’, U2 ‘Two Hearts Beat As One’, Savage Garden ‘Truly Madly Deeply’, Camera Obscura ‘French Navy’, OneRepublic ‘Say (All I need)

- Dedicated in honor of the 58,000 who lost their lives during the war, the decree of the Assemblée nationale, 24 July 1873, responding to a request by the archbishop of Paris by voting its construction, specifies that it is to "expiate the crimes of the communards"





Skyline. Pretty.

I wish I could have a picture like this for myself.






We got lazy and took the funiculaire down... such a laugh!




Took a walk around Montmartre and found that it was lined with lovesome shops selling lovesome things!



My favourite shop in Paris. Forgot to get the address but when I have a baby, the lil kid's gonna get a nightlight from this place for sure :)




We took the Metro to spend our evening in...




... Champs Elysees!


Land of monograms... (Mmmy wanted to get a Delightful but it was out of stock)


... and cyber funky cars like this Toyota Hybrid X.



You can't come to Paris and not visit the Mothership?!




The eternal struggle: Lambskin vs Caviar. I'm not a Caviar sorta girl.. it's just too shiny and pebbly for my liking. I know it's durable but well I'm not exactly looking for something that would outlive me...

This is a real beauty. It's made of python skin and is as velvety soft as a baby's bottom. Lovely with a capital LOVE!

Pokai but pleased. Let's take this muthaf*ckin' Classic Maxi Jumbo home!! :)


Chanel
42 Avenue Montaigne
75008 Paris
Tel: 01 47 23 74 12





Always loved it but could never afford it.


Dddy was supposed to depict me as a young lady munching on a Laduree macaroon after a spree at Chanel waiting for a taxi on the crub of Champs Elysees *sigh* Epic fail obviously.



Love riding in city cabs. You see so much that you don't get to experience when you're underground in a Metro. They do cost an arm and a leg though.


I forgot to take more pictures of the hotel but this is a pretty sweet hotel if you exclude the rude receptionist and crappy extra bed. Apart from those 2 factors I quite love this hotel.
Hotel Roma Sacre Couer
101 rue Caulaincourt
18th Arr
75018 Paris



What I also like about this hotel is that a Marche Franprix, which is pretty much a London Tesco or a KL Village Grocer, is a stone's throw away. It became my nightly haunt when we'd get back to the hotel and I'd pick up some wine and cheese which is so cheap yet so yummy on the way back... makes me realize how much they overcharge us for simple French fare back home.





No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...