Saturday, August 01, 2009

TOKYO une: asakusa kappabashidori ginza sony

OK-lah so these are 5 year-old images (note I label-ed my pics FATgirl... old blog used to be called 'I am a FATgirl'. I still am a FAT girl but less inferiority complex *wink*) but man I'm dying for a holiday I just don't know when I can find the time? Being a houseman sucks. I miss Tokyo. Really I just found these old filed lying in some old external drives and went... hey!!

Most of the pictures are of my mother 'cos she's abysmal at taking photos of me which inadvertently frustrates me and so I don't let her take photos of me to avoid getting frustrated. Good motto, non?

So you gotta go to Asakusa temple. Just before you get to the temple, be prepared to ignore the lures of tourist-trappy cracker stalls of Nakamise Shopping Arcade...

Ayo. So kawaii hor? I refrained from buying it 'cos I thought I could get a better deal elsewhere. I should have bought it anyways! Regret-lor now, like, 5 years later.

Even 5 years back Jap boys are so dashing hor? Man they really do live up to expectations.

Japs eat alot of crackers. Could crackers be the secret to serious kawaii-ness??


Asakusa Temple

It is said that in the year 628, two brothers fished a statue of Kannon, the goddess of mercy, out of the Sumida River, and even though they put the statue back into the river, it always returned to them. Consequently, Sensoji was built nearby for the goddess of Kannon. The temple was completed in 645, making it Tokyo's oldest temple. 

... Japan Guide ...

Kaminarimon (Thunder Gate)





The old wood carving below the gargantuan paper lantern is so intricate and pretty.


For free (or was it a small fee?) you could get some fortune-sticks readings. Super fun.

Mmmy's just regular but the little lady was pleased.


Best fortune y'all!! Yeayyy *clicks heels*



Step 1: shake the fortune-sticks-cannister 'till 1 of them falls out

Step 2: match number of stick number to mini-fortune-drawer

Step 3: pick out fortune reading

Step 4: Turn it around to read the interpretation


I was so tempted to bring my fortune paper home but a nice lady told me it's a big no-no to do that especially if your reading was crappy. The best way is to fold up the paper into a strip and tie it in a knot around this clothesline for fortunes.


We wandered around the temple premises for abit.

People were drinking out of this pool. I suppose it must be holy water. I took a sip. Mmmy merely washed her fingers, she's really paranoid 'bout communal facilities.





Asakusa Kannon Temple aka Sensoji Temple
Subway: Asakusa Station
Main hall 0600 - 17:00 (from 0630 from October to March)
Temple grounds: Always open


If you walk just abit further you'll arrive at Kappabashi-dori aka Kitchen Town. They sell alot of Jap cooking ware and bizarre plastic food lookalikes you see in window displays and such.

I was tempted to buy a sukiyaki pot 'cos it's so cute! You can't leave Japan sukiyaki potless!
(conversation)moi: I wanna buy a sukiyaki pot-lah.
Mmmy: What for?moi: Duh! To cook sukiyaki-lah!! Like hello?? We never know when we need to cook sukiyaki!
Mmmy: When will you ever need to cook sukiyaki?moi: When Takuya Kimura suddenly realizes I’m a goddess and drops by for dinner..!!Mmmy: We are not buying a sukiyaki pot.moi: You are going to kill my one chance of having boyfriend bliss!Mmmy: We are not buying a sukiyaki pot.moi: *sulks*





This is masak-masak heaven! Next time I'm gonna buy these for my daughters and they can open a sushi parlour.. tea's like so 80's!



Kappabashi-dori
Subway: Tawaramachi Station

From Kappabashi we took the infamous (SUPER EXPENSIVO) Tokyo cab to Ginza 'cos Mmmmy's too damn tired to walk to another metro stop. This cab fare costed me a 100% silk Zara evening dress. F*ck.



So this is Ginza, Rodeo Drive of Tokyo.



Mmmy cannot tolerate sushi so I gotta search for non-weird cooked food for her. This has proven to be one of the best meals we had in Tokyo on a budget: Yoshinoya. You cannot go wrong here. It's a fast-food chain available at almost every nook and cranny of Tokyo. Go in. Sit down. Point. Eat. Pay. You don't even need to learn Japanese for this!





During our stroll on the way back...





I learnt somewhere (on the tele I believe) the reason why the Japanese have so many vending machines (hosting every possible daily living articles) is 'cos they hate making people help them find stuff or bothering them at bizarre hours just, like, for a toothbrush or something. So they 'vend' everything so they can have the freedom to choose and purchase stuff guilt-less. Whoah so smart yet so complicated. I like 7-11 better.

You gotta go to the Sony building located in Ginza to check out the place. It's massive and uber cool. Don't forget to look for the Qrio robots performance. They have about 2 performances a day and it's always so jam-packed so get there early and wait so you get a seat without blocks of black hair blocking your way.



Seriously they are so darn cute!! They dance and ring bells and are just absolutely adorable.



5-3-1 Ginza, Chuo-ku, Tokyo 104-0061 Sony Building
Tel: 03-3573-2371
Mon - Sun 1100 - 1900
Subway: A 1-minute walk from Exit B9 of Ginza Station 







Subway: Ginza Station and Yurakucho Station


Before retiring back to the hotel, Mmmy and I shared a bowl of noodles. Almost all their el-cheapo eateries utilize a coupon system. It's seems so techy considering it's just dinner and it's just noodles but coupon's just how the system works.

So what you do is stare out at a bunch of pictures of food (in my case noodles) and pick out the most decent looking one with consideration to the fact you cannot read Japanese so just choose something soupy and meaty. Memorize the number of that picture.

Go to the coupon machine. Choose number. Pay money... or was it the other way around? Anywaysss get coupon and bring it into the eatery.


Pass the coupon to the cook.


Water is self-service. Food comes.



Eat. And regret you chose that number. Perhaps we shoulda gone for 158 instead. Shoulda woulda coulda!



No fret. There's always a cake shop somewhere so pick up a pastry 'cos Japanese cakes are mighty yums!



That and 24-hour convenience store food. Really their 7-11 food is damn mantap-lor. I got myself a bunch of sushi and bubble milk just 'cos I'm in Tokyo and doin' what Tokyo-ians do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

agradeceria si por favor podes ayudarme a encontrar un contacto para poder comprar la comida plastica desde argentina, muchas garcias! saludos! lorena
perrunoscachorros@hotmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...