Monday, July 20, 2009

kek lok si

Once in awhile it's my turn to be the visitor rather than be the visitee. Rather than fly over to Alor Setar, I go via Bayan Lepas, Penang instead as it's closer to Kulim (Guy's hometown) so he says. It doesn't really matter to me 'cos I'm not driving.. I'm flying wee!!

Frankly, I've never been to Penang. Oops. Seriously. I've never for the life of me stepped onto Penang shores and had authentic Penang Char Kuey Teow. Wooot. Betul. Weird but true.

I arrived in the afternoon and there wasn't time to do much. Since we intend for my visits to be a monthly and at most bi-monthly affair it has been decided that we would tackle Penang 1 tourist trap by another. First up, none other than the...



Kek Lok Si Temple!!


As we wandered about we found this space amidst the temple that housed prayer candles in the form of lotus flowers. How splendid..!

I'm a big sucker for lucky charms and prayer advocates. Naturally Guy and I shared a candle of hope and wishes.

Umm something is deeply disturbing about my eyebrows. Check out the loads and loadsa Buddha figurines behind me. So zen, non?

*blink blink* Diplopia? Nay... it's just Sir Gustav and Major Gustav resting on G's (Gautama) hands. Yeah apparently Guy's no whiz in the creative department when it comes to making up names.

Did you know Kek Lok Si really means Temple of Supreme Bliss? And did you know there are supposedly 10,000 Buddhas in this place?



After abit of a drive around town (and the fact that I still have not eaten Penang CKT), we headed towards Kulim to meet the 'family'. Inverted commas 'cos they're not my family yet but they're family nonetheless.




Whoah. Pardon the excitement but this is the absolute first time I'm seeing the Penang Bridge for the very first time. Sejarah Book Moment Alert!! It's exactly like how it looks in pictures. That sounds very Elle Woods but it's quite a moment. Takes me back to the time when I celebrated the new year's at Borobudur, Yogyakarta. Another SJB alert that one!

Saying goodbye to the island. I tend to forget it's an island.

Do not ask me why Guy has so much crap hanging from his rear-view mirror. And they're not really even officially sacred. They come from Tesco or something!

The bridge is really quite small. I mean I didn't know 50m can be that short. When I was small I imagined the structure to be gargantuan and mind-blowing. I was very much mistaken.

Guy says they're reconstructing the bridge to make it more Malaysian or whatnot. That just seems silly. We all know The Penang Bridge as how it was constructed and personally, I find it to be quite an icon and symbol of Penangites identity. I don't see San Francisco changing the shade of their bridge purple. What say you Penang people??

We then grabbed dinner with his nieces. They're cuties.


I was so busy working the weekend rounds penalty in Ortho that I didn't have time to get them gifts so I swung by the duty-free shops and got them Smarties swirling princesses. Thank god for duty-free gift shops!! They were quite thrilled 'cos they were just playing with their mother's friend's daugthter's (mouthful!) the day before I got them their own. Cool huh? Oh and check out the Pangkor glow-in-the-dark tracks Guy got them from our Pangkor trip.
So I've yakked and yakked and still have NOT had a good plate of legendary Penang Char Kuey Teow. OK So Penang people do your state proud and recommend!!

2 comments:

Cindy Khor said...

i miss going to penang. its been 4 years since i step foot on the island... the food is glorious....

shelbybaby said...

cindy: tell me tell me where's d royally-hailed CKT?? i need to know... *giggle*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...