Wednesday, December 31, 2008

definition of new

... according to the American Heritage Dictionary:

1. Having been made or come into being only a short time ago; recent: a new law.
2.
a. Still fresh: a new coat of paint.
b. Never used or worn before now: a new car; a new hat.
3. Just found, discovered, or learned: new information.
4. Not previously experienced or encountered; novel or unfamiliar: ideas new to her.
5. Different from the former or the old: the new morality.
6. Recently obtained or acquired: new political power; new money.
7. Additional; further: new sources of energy.
8. Recently arrived or established in a place, position, or relationship: new neighbors; a new president.
9. Changed for the better; rejuvenated: The nap has made a new person of me.
10. Being the later or latest in a sequence: a new edition.
11. Currently fashionable: a new dance.
12. In the most recent form, period, or development.
13. Inexperienced or unaccustomed: new at the job; new to the trials of parenthood.

It is 22:00 pm and I will be sleeping soon. I’m oncall tomorrow hence the need for energy conservation. Initially the eve plan today was to get drive-thru Ayam Goreng McD… watch a re-run episode of ‘how I met Your Mother’ while having dinner… take a long hot shower… continue to read this killer self-help book I gotten myself as a New Year’s gift until 10:00pm… prepare for slumber… sleep. Initially that is. Thing is the town is rather empty as whoever that is not on-call has scurried home / somewhere else to countdown to the New Year. And if I was alone to fend for myself this would have been how I got through the 2008-2009 transition in TI.

I said would-have-been. As Seng is on-call tomorrow too so we decided to have an eve dinner together. And so we did. We even got a little frisky and had us a bottle of Heine each *giggle*

So here I am staring at my new 2009 black Moleskine feeling just a little bit heavy-heart to say goodbye to my old 2008 one. That little red book holds my entire year worth of thoughts, plans and even my favourite msgs (yes, I’m one of those sad pathetics who actually writes down her favourite sms-es on paper!). Despite that, the word new does have a nice ring to it. New is almost always good. It’s nice to have new stuff no matter how comfortable the old goods make you feel, non?

I’m going through one of those bizarre new year sentiments… I get it every 31st December. It’s not reflection or anticipation… it’s almost like the word numb. It would be lovely to one day have a regular countdown (like the rest of the world) in a party with close friends for company, of headcount 10 and above, while clinking glasses / sipping bubbly as we kiss our boyfriends, holding our party hats so as to make sure it doesn’t fall. So far my New Years have been far from regular. But hey maybe 2009 will be better than the last. Maybe I’ll get my ‘regular’ New Year next year.

And maybe this year will be better than the last…

Merry 2009 y’all! How did your new year go?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...