Friday, September 05, 2008

kl: shelby style

My old friends (Miss ChuaChua, a Hongkie, and her French boyfriend Ah Ya) from my UK hey-days were down in KL for a wedding. I applied for a day's leave to bring them around. The entire week prior to their arrival, I had already started cracking my egghead to plan up a smashing daystripper for the duo. Thing is I was never home much to be super familiar with the city which proves to be a dilemma. I didn't want to stuff them into a shopping mall and just be contented with that. It'll drive Ah Ya to bleed out of his ears of boredom. Since I, self-claimed legendary urbanite, was the tour-guide the tour would have to showcase the city and its hidden quirks! They have been to KL once before so they must have done the basic sites. No point going to the same ole same ole tourist snores all over again.. So I scribbled and cancelled and scribbled and cancelled in my red Moleskine planner 'till the morning of their arrival.



1st agenda: A mamak breakfast



Picked them up at 1Utama new wing taxi stand. They looked tired. Brought them to makan roti at Nasi Kandar Kayu, Kota Damansara. Ah Ya is fascinated by the thosai ghee.



2nd agenda: A morning drink with our feathered friends



Moi and Ah Ya..






Just as we settled down, almost immediately a bird flapped its wings and perched itself by our table. They're pretty lucky you know. I didn't get a bird the last time I came. I was hoping we'd score with a hornbill but I guess it will take a third time to charm. They did, though manage to spot a pair of hornbills nearby and got abit excited. Angmoh very suka flora fauna stuff one. If you're too lazy to take the entire Bird Park route, don't waste money on tickets. Instead opt to chill at the cafe instead... 'cos it opens interactively into the park so you get to enjoy the environment while sipping on your calamansi and sour plum juice. Clever right?


Miss ChuaChua quickly whipped her new baby out and started clicking away.






Moi and Miss ChuaChua.. delighted to be reunited after many many years.





Hornbill Restaurant + Café
920 Jalan Cenderawasih
Taman Tasik Perdana
50480 Kuala Lumpur





3rd agenda: last minute shopping and chores in KLCC






Ah Ya needed to get some express dry-cleaning done and buy dress shoes for the wedding the next day. I sent dry-cleaning over to Mandarin Oriental: you do not need to be a resident there and 'express' means it gets done in 4 hours. Called Ah Ry up for shoe-sultation, didn't know anyone else to call, I can't believe I STILL have very limited male species in my circle of friends. Disturbing. Apparently he was in the building too. Serendipity. We met for abit to say hi and then he had to go back to work. I got Miss ChuaChua to try a lovely Blumarine number for the wedding. It costs as much as her return London-KL ticket! Ah Ya told Miss ChuaChua that he wishes his employees were as efficient as I was. Seriously I think houseman ship has tweaked that aspect of me. Now I'm along the leagues of, like, Super-PA or something :D






4th agenda: Shark petting in the city aquarium






As y'all should be quite familiar by now Aquaria, KLCC is one of my top-favourite places in the city. I know it's pretty bias to just bring ppl around places I LIKE. But one man's meat could be another man's meat too, non?










Now they have petting stalls for friendly sharks at the entrance. Totally kicks up a worldly appetite for fish-sighting!




Watch them zip past you as you caress their leather-like scales(?) skin (?)..






Ah Ya: This is the most peculiar crab.


Crab: This is the most peculiar human.




Yes-lah yes-lah super the showing off his latest water-resistant Olympus digital camera hor. Perhaps it's a lil' too hard to notice but it is dipped into the water.




Chocolate..... starfish? (pun not intended)






Contrary to what I've always imagined, starfishes are hard. Not lembik-lembik soft and smudgy at all. Very crusty shell-like.. how bizarre how bizarre.



Cute nonetheless.




Let's compare.. who's scarier?




Flaccid blowfish and turtle. Frolicking. Funny.






At some certain time block we get to view shark feeds which as it turns out: is really really cool. I missed out on that too the last time.









After that we got onto the revolving belt and admired all seal-life above us..




I just realize I look darn preggers in this dress.





Shelby in Wonderland: When you can’t dive (or have no time to learn it), the closest thing to sea life is through a looking glass. If you can blind out the chubby and crappy posture, it’s actually a Shelbulous shot *thank you Miss ChuaChua* It’s my happy smile :)



That mobile network put fake jellyfishes on the commercial-lah (the 'lovely day.. lovely day.. lovely day.. lovely day' with yellow heart bubbles) 'cos I stood there for a full 10 minutes and no jellyfish also.



It’s, like, we were mermaids in our past lives or something!








.

Aquaria KLCC
Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre Complex
50088 Kuala Lumpur


Tel: +603-23331888




5th agenda: nice lunch @ Dragon I, Pavilion



I can see the concern on Ah Ya's face 'cos Miss ChuaChua and him had the worse dimsum in Crystal Jade Palace few doors away just few days back. I ordered all my faves: whipped white egg + banana + red bean dumping and golden yolk dumpling thing.



Miss ChuaChua got really excited over lunch 'cos she was super spoilt for choice. She wanted to eat everything on the menu! Yea.. Dragon I menus can pretty much do this to people.



Wah wait for the chick to order can die of starvation wei..



Gustav fell into my bowl Szechuan la-mein. I dropped him-lah OK, the klutz that I am despite Miss ChuaChua’s many warning hoots. I should dry-clean him soon before his snout stains orange like the setting sun for good!



Was aiming for Dragon I’s famous terra-cotta soldier but failed miserably. At least I look cute.





.

Dragon-i (flagship restaurant)
Lot 1.13, Level 1Pavilion
168 Jalan Bukit Bintang
55100 Kuala Lumpur

Tel: +603-3224 0888




6th agenda: kenko fish spa



Yes babydolls, you know I love 'em fishy nibblers helping me discard useless epidermis. This just has to be included in the Shelbulous experience!






Pavilion parking: RM8. Kenko Fish Spa 30 minutes-for-2: RM76. Ah Ya’s hilarious geli expression and constant electric-zap body twitching: PRICELESS.





Fishies: Oooooh epidermis yum yum! Attack attack!!





Ah Ya's erm big hairy foot.



Miss ChuaChua's small hairless toes.



I look scary here… = Post-call + midnight 2-hour drive home + early morning wake + being stuck in two city centre traffic jams. This warrants a good gracing worth of sympathy, non?







.

Kenko Fish Spa
Level 5

Pavilion
168 Jalan Bukit Bintang
55100 Kuala Lumpur




7th agenda: a unique dinner




The parentals were listing out a good place to bring the duo and in the end I decided on Unique Seafood Restaurant. We’ve been going there for years. It’s a great place to bring guests over ‘cos the place itself is a photo-op!




Something really big is stirring Miss ChuaChua up. Ah Ya looks on in awe.



I had to explain, despite the bombastic name, the fleshy organisms the size of Ah Ya’s 2 biceps combined, is really just a gigantic clam. He couldn’t really visualize it maybe ‘cos he was concentrating on the *ahem* snout. KAKAKA it does look ludicrously smutty ;D



Mmmy ordered us 3 giant oysters. Ah Ya and Miss ChuaChua says they have oysters all the time but never this big. They loved it!



Dddy kept putting food on their plates. Ahaha kesian the Frenchman.



We must be, like, I dunno bloody ass old or something ‘cos dinner conversation focused on real estate! We’re from 2 different parts of the world for crying out loud! I suppose this goes to show money is money = universal language. Even between a Hongkie girl, a Frenchman, and a Malaysian family.



Ah Ya pointed out that he and SunshineP used to go fish for Spider Crabs back in Lannion. I found that very amusing. It’s just comical to imagine the both of them in their Speedos(??) and snorkels diving about looking for crabs. Anyway just in case you wanna know, they boil the crabs, scoop the flesh out and eat it with mayonnaise *mata terbeliak* uh huh right.



Dddy: After dinner yar, foreign guests must thank hosts with tribal hand gestures that goes like this…



Ah Ya: Wah the old uncle cannot be serious right?? Malaysians are seriously weird.
Miss ChuaChua: Dinner ain’t free, you do it.. my hands are occupied.



L-R: Mmmy, moi, Dddy, Miss ChuaChua







.

Unique Seafood Restaurant

Lot 9B-3 Jalan Kemajuan

Section 13

46200 Petaling Jaya

Selangor

Tel: +603-7960 2088 / 7960 2066





8th agenda: post dinner drinks




This was taken at 03:00 am. When we arrived at midnight it was FULL freakin' house. I was telling Miss ChuaChua that I was not gonna bring them to KL to pub 'cos of the Puasa month. Guess I didn't think it alone...



Went to Breeze 'cos it was the least dodgy and juvenile hangout there. We ended up ordering the same drink too: Mojitos all around.



We sat and talked and talked and talked. I didn't even think there could be so much to say given the time we were apart. But there we were yabbering!



Time to go home...



Love my hooker heels!



AM I, LIKE, DA BEST TOUR GUIDE EVER??!!


YEA, LIKE, TOTALLY!!











7 comments:

Falcon said...

you are the best tour guide ever...

cindy khor said...

Wow, I never knew that there's so many things to see in KL. Normally I just go shopping in KLCC. Will definitely try out the fish spa next time when I'm back to Malaysia

shelbybaby said...

falcon: yeayyy!! *skips in glee* yeaaa like totally!! ;D

cindy: yes kenko is a must! but now there's alot of fish spas sprouting everywhere. just make sure the fishes are authentic ok.

Mohammed said...

Thank u ma'am
that was wooooooooooooow

shelbybaby said...

mohammed: you're very much welcome. hope you find the info of good use :)

Joey said...

Good god, the next time me and Tim are back we need to get you to take us round!!!

shelbybaby said...

joey: ahahaha i'm flattered.. yup just ring me uppp!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...