Wednesday, July 16, 2008

herpetiform?

Last few nights ago I slept with my work clothes on. Too tired to change or care. In the middle of the night I felt a sharp slice at the back of my right arm. Again, was too tired to change or care. I figured it must have been a hook that caught onto my skin. The next day I totally forgot about it 'till I was slipping in and out pretty vigorously from the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) scrubs... the sleeves rubbed onto my lseion and I felt a sharp pain! Since I couldn't really have a good look I had to find for a mirror and bham... I saw this ulcerated lesion with circumscribed erythema. That looks awful. And it was accompanied by some serpentine papulles... almost herpetic looking. Damn! Didn't have time to get Acyclovir cream so I just put on some Gentamycin cream to tackle any secondary infection should there be any. Also in the meantime I had Calamine lotion on. For days I racked my brains trying to find the source of infection...

(conversation)
Colleague: Aaah someone's been naughty ah...
moi: Unless someone's found a sexual use for the back of the arm, I don't see how this could happen.
Colleague: :D

I was asking my staff nurse to help me put on a small bandage on the lesion 'cos it hurts too much when it rubs onto my sleeve and she told me that a certain insect that lives in the oil palm estate (I LIVE JUST BESIDE AN OIL PALM ESTATE) and bites just like that: it starts out first like a stabbing sensation (SLICE SLICE I FELT SLICE) and turns into a burn mark (MY LESION LOOKS LIKE SOMEONE STUCK A CIGARETTE BUTT INTO MY ARM). That's bloody it!! Just that she doesn't know the name of the insect-lah. Aiya...

Anyways I don't know-lah, perhaps that insect carries a strain of herpes virus or whatever 'cos the Acyclovir's working. It feels less painful and seems like it's drying up. Phew..

2 comments:

izzy said...

ouch!!!

shelbybaby said...

izzy: ouch is the word!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...