Sunday, May 21, 2006

cock-a-doodle-doo

3 hours till 'jaga' ends. I will return to Bandung later today... YESSS!! Abit of civilisation at last AND I can nomat (nonton hemat) the Da Vinci Code on Monday. Bliss.



At this exact moment Ah Rmandha is asleep opposite me. The midwife is on the desk on my left while Miss RusRus is resting on a patient's bed. As usual Ah Nggun is the first to hit the sack and I'm the one who keeps awake the longest. There is a shrilly voice in the background. A young mother is singing and yelling at the top of her lungs piercing through the silence. Her family is holding her down and trying to get her to calm down. I suppose from a third party's view she'd appear as a victim of "kerasukan". She's delirious and absolutely unaware of her surroundings, absolutely paranoid about chickens attacking her, making clucking sounds (the POKKKK POOOKKK POK POK sort), screaming obscenities and cackling. Both Ah Nggun and Ah Rmandha have finished Internal Medicine so with whatever knowledge they have we started on correcting her temperature (she had a very high fever) and stabilizing her vital signs. I absolutely loved it when Ah Rmandha, “Kita guna Ilmu Penyakit Dalam aja”: so HOT when he said that. I used my Ilmu Bedah in an attempt to fixate her hands ‘cos she kept pulling the intravenous infuse out. After watching House M.D, I've come to realize that beneath alot of temporary mental delusions, lie a lot of medical pathophysiologies and with that lie the medical management. I haven't entered my Psychiatry block so I probably don't know much about what's bothering this patient in comparison with the 2 boys. I really think Ah Rmandha helped handle the situation very well. He's always pretending he's goofy and dumb when in real fact he's a smart alec. I find it very sexy when boys take over and get all serious with work and stuff. Ah Nggun was more of a thinker than do-er. Well, he cannot do trauma then but he’s probably well-suited for his choice of pursuit: Neurosurgery. I was amazed with myself as well. I wasn't freaked out by what happened. And I usually get SPOOKED really easily over the most sh*t ass trivial crap like cicak noises or walking in a dark alley. In fact I remained very calm and focused. Maybe ‘cos what was racing through my mind was more of “Damn, what’s wrong with the chick??” rather than “OMGGG scaryyy!” After we’ve done all we could, we left her family to deal with her. I don’t think she likes me very much either. Maybe she don’t like female figure. She hisses and gives me this weird eye look. I’m paranoid so it’s something I would notice. Before we left, Ah Nggun crouched on the floor. Ah Rmandha thought the fella had stomach cramps but I knew he was praying. I’ve lived with enough Muslims to know that Ah Nggun was praying at the corner. Guess he was spooked too-lah. Who wouldn’t be? She sounded like a crying cat.

Ah Rmandha believes it's a form of post-partum blues since her baby died at birth and husband is not present (it seems he ran away prior to this). Such a big blow for someone so young. What could a girl know about real pain before turning 18 anyway?

That’s the thing about villagers. They get married at 18. Actually they get married younger around 12 to 16 years old. I was chatting to this lady who’s in the cleaning service. She looked like she was 35 but she really was my age. AND get this: she had been married twice!! OMG all the stress really made her age, like, 10 years *look of erk*. I haven’t even been married once. Supposedly, girls my age are considered old spinsters and noone would even dream of wanting to marry them. I’m an old spinster already? Don’t I know it *snap* :I Hehe. Basically when the kids in the village complete primary level education they don’t pursue further. It’s mainly monetary problem but also due to ignorance of the importance of education. Parents then get edgy to get them married off before they turn into mold and taint the family. In the cleaning service lady’s case she got married off at 16 to this 30 over year old dude. Things were alright the first 2 years but then he started to be all weird. Getting possessive and not even allowing her to meet her father and accusing her of incest when all she was was close to her dad. She had enough of his crap and they got divorced. Being a young divorcee was hard. Men in her village begin to leer at her and the women made her an outcase, accusing her of attempting to steal their husbands. She had not intended to remarry but social circumstances forced her into remarrying again. Neighbour husbands would come call at her house with the excuse of wanting to chat with her father when all they really want is to catch her alone in the house. So she got herself a second husband and it was her choice of man instead of her parents’. After the failed first marriage, she’s just grateful now that sometimes when she returns home from a long day at work there’s a hot bowl of rice waiting for her upon arrival. I suppose in the end a good marriage basically boils down to that.

The morning after what would be a very strenuous night. What I don't get is the rest of them slept like freaking goats the entire night yet they look more lethargic than I do..?

P.S: After a 5-hour drive return from Subang, I had to hurry-hurry off to attend a good friend's function (can't help being popular). Miss JoeJoe treats us to a pre-birthday buffet at Hartz Chicken, Bandung :)



I look like crap. I'm actually out in my scrubs. Goodness Gracious save me!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...