Saturday, January 07, 2006

it ain't over till it's over

Haven’t been producing recent entries. Mostly because I have been doing some grammar housekeeping and adding supplementary thoughts on previous entries. Also it has not been a ball in ENT which makes it tiresome just to yabber about it.

Today I watched resident Dr Budhy do a corpus allineum (foreign object) extraction on this child. Basically this 3-year-old toddler stuck a (flower) biji up her nostril thus she has breathing difficulty. Her parents tried to get it out and when they couldn’t, tried to coax her to sneeze it out instead but she wouldn’t. As Dr Budhy motioned towards her nose with a gigantic scissors looking pincer, the little girl started bawling and flailing her limbs EVERYWHERE. Her father tried to keep her still by wrapping his arms strongly around her but she still managed to wriggle her head about. That was when I was put into good use: firmly holding her head in place [my other group-mates were too compassionate and they didn’t want to hurt her. I didn’t really bother]. He probed it up her nose, lodged around (probably trying to secure a grip on that thing) and then suddenly ‘POP’ out came that seed. It was pretty large… wonder how she could have shoved it up her nasal cavity in the first place. So there you go, her first minor operation at the age of 3. This is a good lesson to all parents: don’t let your children play with things they can stuff up their nostrils.
I managed to see a centrally perforated tympanic membrane in an acute otitis media patient today. It’s rare and I was lucky to be standing at the right patient at the right time with the right resident. He was kind enough to point it out to us. I was semi-bewildered.


L-R: Miss FirFir, Miss MuMu. Notice I took a damn great picture of them with the puskesmas (pusat kesihatan masyarakat) sign.

L-R: moi, Miss HilHil. And look at what Miss MuMu took 15 mins to photograph!! G*DDD I can hematemesis sometimes with all these garbage picture-takers. (Man I look like a freaking whale) :P

I finally started to see the wonders of the world of ENT ever since we started going to satellite hospitals. I’ve been having a crappy time before at the general hospital with Dr Jackass giving me a really hard time with me being Malaysian and especially since I’m from the English Program [we, English Program people, aren’t very popular with some old doctors even though it’s our $$ funding all their new building construction and equipment!!]. *sigh* it’s bound to come sooner or later. Just had to put up with his mini-yelling, snide remarks and efforts to make my life a living hell. It could get worse. I could get sent outta class for not being able to answer questions or get scolded at REALLY LOUDLY in front of patients… which happens in OBGYN so… still kinda fortunate in that sense. I only pray for a B. As long as I pass. I don’t want to repeat this dept.

Rumah Sakit Dustira is an army hospital and also a teaching hospital to Universitas Unjani interns (army university). Damn canggih right? I tell you... army gets damn great subsidi from govt one.
A: Iodine, Alcohol 0.5% and the like; B: knobs and switches to turn stuff on; C: nasal speculum; D: opthalmoscope; E: little cup-like hole for hot-air sterilization purposes; F: kidney dish for used barang

Thing is, ENT is basically 85% GP-hood. Meaning, 85% of your patients come to you, a General Practitioner, with ENT complaints: sore throat, flu, earache etc… meaning 85% of your earnings is ‘cos of ENT… meaning 8.5 out of 10 of your Vuitton luggages was all in the name of ENT. So I shouldn’t not like it, instead, pursue it furiously. *shrug* I know zero bout this dept and come Monday the examinations begin. I don’t really know what to say but f*ck.

Miss MuMu says the reason why we’re being given all these department rounds is not only to allow us to indulge in the vast knowledge of medicine but also to expose us to the different fields of medicine which might perk our interest enough to take it up further, later in life. A department is supposedly successful if you find yourself, at the end of the day, thinking “I really don’t mind doing this for the rest of my life”. It takes a lot to make that happen: wise and compassionate Proceptors, helpful and earnest residents, warm and welcoming environment and fuelling cases (for some). I felt a teensy-weensy bit in Eye. Funny (funny-weird not funny-haha) thing is, almost everyone in the group shared the same sentiment. ENT has failed in this aspect. This is probably how a BAD DATE feels like since I’ve never been on one. I just can’t wait ‘till it’s over (!!).

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...